With more than 16 months until the face re-election, Ohio lawmakers have raised anywhere from tens of thousands of dollars to more than a million in their bid for re-election, Jessica Wehrman reports from the Washington Bureau
Campaign finance reports filed this week with the Federal Election Commission indicate that the state’s lawmakers – who largely remain unchallenged for next year’s elections – are nonetheless raising money for their campaigns.
Among southwest Ohioans, House Speaker John Boehner remained the most prolific fundraiser, bringing in $5.9 million in the second quarter through his various campaign committees.
Here’s how some of the other members of Congress are doing in fundraising:
* Rep. Mike Turner, R-Dayton, raised $101,349 last quarter and has raised $206,370 to date this campaign. He raised $491,722 and had $6,996 in debt. Turner’s district covers all of Montgomery and Greene counties and part of Fayette County.
* Rep. Steve Chabot, R-Cincinnati, meanwhile, raised $124,415 during the second quarter, part of an overall haul of $300,817. Chabot had no debt and $804,887 in the bank. Chabot’s first district includes all of Warren County and part of Hamilton Coiunty.
* Rep. Jim Jordan, R-Urbana, raised $104,541 last quarter and has raised $187,416 to date this cycle. He has no campaign debt and has $1.08 million in the bank. Jordan’s massive district covers a large part of central and northern Ohio including Shelby, Auglaize, and Champaign counties.
* In Central Ohio Rep. Pat Tiberi, R-Genoa Twp., once again led in fundraising, raising $463,723 this quarter and $873,543 to date this campaign. He had no debt and had more than $3.11 million in the bank. Tiberi is among the most senior U.S. House members from Ohio.
* Rep. Steve Stivers, R-Upper Arlington, raised $462,887 between April 1 and June 30, and has raised $842,514 to date this campaign, according to FEC reports. He had no debt, and nearly $1.53 million in the bank – much from previous election cycles.
* And Rep. Joyce Beatty, D-Jefferson Twp., raised $106,460 last quarter, $173,476 to date this campaign and had $405,905 on hand as of June 30. She had $27,500 in campaign debt. Her district covers most of the Columbus area.
* Rep. Bob Gibbs, R-Lakeville, raised $106,017 last quarter, part of the $179,167 he’s raised to date this campaign cycle. He had $996,916 in the bank, including money from past campaigns, and his campaign has $10,000 in debt.
* Rep. Bill Johnson, R-Marietta, raised $302,878 last quarter. He has raised $532,917 to date this cycle. Johnson has no debt and has $716,069 in the bank.
* Rep. Jim Renacci, R-Wadsworth, raised $310,247 last quarter, and has raised $628,682 to date this campaign cycle. His campaign has $638,904 on hand as of June 30. His campaign has $31,101 in debt. And Rep. Tim Ryan, D-Niles, raised $88,474 last quarter and $196,939 to date this campaign cycle. He had $351,115 as of June 30.
* In northern Ohio, meanwhile, Rep. Marcia Fudge, D-Cleveland, raised $78,823 last quarter and has $592,423 on hand. Rep. Dave Joyce, R-Russell Township, raised $325,386 last quarter and had $507,886 in the bank. Joyce had $25,000 in debt.